At Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry in Topeka, KS, we emphasize the importance of regular dental exams and cleanings as a cornerstone of oral health. Our team, skilled in comprehensive dental care, provides thorough examinations and professional cleanings to maintain your dental health and prevent future problems.
Regular dental exams and cleanings are vital for:
- Early detection of dental issues such as cavities, gum disease, and oral cancer
- Preventing plaque and tartar buildup that can lead to tooth decay and gum disease
- Keeping bad breath at bay
- Maintaining overall oral health, which is linked to your general health
Routine dental exams and cleanings are recommended because:
- Even with diligent at-home care, plaque and tartar can accumulate in hard-to-reach areas
- Regular exams can identify problems early, when they are easier and less expensive to treat
- Professional cleanings remove plaque and tartar buildup, minimizing the risk of cavities and gum disease
- Oral health significantly impacts overall health, making regular dental care crucial
Our process includes:
- Medical History Review: Understanding your overall health and any changes since your last visit.
- Thorough Dental Examination: Checking for cavities, gum health, and any other potential issues.
- Professional Teeth Cleaning: Removing plaque and tartar, followed by polishing your teeth.
- Dental X-Rays: Taking X-rays if necessary to check for hidden dental issues.
- Oral Cancer Screening: Examining your mouth for signs of oral cancer.
- Personalized Dental Care Recommendations: Providing tailored advice for your at-home oral care routine.
To support your oral health between visits:
- Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and floss daily
- Eat a balanced diet and limit sugary snacks and beverages
- Avoid tobacco products
- Use mouthwash as recommended
Regular dental exams and cleanings are key to maintaining good oral health and can prevent the need for more complex dental procedures in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I need a dental exam and cleaning?
Yes. According to the American Dental Association, you should visit your Topeka dental office at least twice a year for an exam and teeth cleaning, regardless of your age or current oral health. Regular exams and cleanings are important for maintaining, preventing, and/or addressing oral health problems. If it has been longer than six months since your last dental appointment, schedule an appointment with one of our dentists at Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry today.
What can I expect when having a dental exam at Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry?
When having a dental exam at Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry in Topeka, you can expect a comprehensive examination. We don’t just look at your teeth and gums to ensure oral health, we take x-rays in order to get an overall view of your teeth, gums, bone structure, and jaw. Dr. Jowett or Dr. Lewis will use the information from these tools to help determine the overall health of your teeth and gums, as well as if ailments such as tooth decay, gingivitis, or tooth sensitivity are present. This will allow us to determine whether any treatments or procedures are needed to restore your oral health.
What can I expect when having a dental cleaning at Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry?
When you visit our Topeka dental office for a dental cleaning, your teeth will be thoroughly cleaned with a dental scaler to remove plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth, in between the teeth, and along the gum line. Then you will have your teeth brushed with a gritty toothpaste and flossed. Once the excess debris has ben rinsed from your mouth, then a fluoride polish will be applied to the surface of your teeth.
During your cleaning, our hygienists do their best to provide a gentle touch. Regular dental cleanings help prevent cavities, gum disease, tooth decay, and other oral health problems. They can also help address issues with tooth sensitivity and halitosis (bad breath).
What happens after a dental exam and cleaning?
After your examination and cleaning, one of our dentists will discuss their findings with you and answer any questions you may have. Occasionally, they may also schedule future appointments for restorative treatments.
How Often Should I Get a Dental Exam and Cleaning?
Most people should have a dental exam and cleaning every six months, though some may require more frequent visits based on their oral health needs.
Yes, regular professional cleanings can significantly reduce the risk of gum disease by removing plaque and tartar that contribute to gum infections.
Dental exams and cleanings are generally painless. If you have sensitive teeth or gums, let our team know so we can ensure your comfort throughout the procedure.
Maintain a healthy smile with regular dental exams and cleanings at Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry in Topeka, KS. Call us at 785-272-3864 to schedule your appointment and take a proactive step towards optimal oral health.