Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry in Topeka, KS, emphasizes the importance of preventative care in maintaining optimal oral health. Our team, including knowledgeable professionals like Dr. Lewis and Dr. Jowett, is dedicated to providing comprehensive preventative services to help avoid dental problems before they develop.
Preventative care is essential for everyone, regardless of age. Indicators that you’re maintaining good preventative care include:
- Regular dental check-ups and cleanings
- Good oral hygiene habits like daily brushing and flossing
- Healthy gums with no signs of redness, swelling, or bleeding
- Teeth free of decay and cavities
- Fresh breath and a clean feeling in the mouth
Preventative dental care is vital for:
- Avoiding costly and complex dental procedures in the future
- Maintaining healthy teeth and gums throughout life
- Early detection and treatment of oral health issues
- Educating patients on proper oral hygiene practices
- Ensuring overall well-being, as oral health impacts general health
Our preventative care services include:
- Routine Dental Examinations: Regular check-ups to monitor oral health and catch issues early.
- Professional Cleanings: Removing plaque and tartar buildup to prevent decay and gum disease.
- Dental X-Rays: Utilizing X-rays to detect problems that aren’t visible during a regular exam.
- Fluoride Treatments: Applying fluoride to strengthen tooth enamel and fight decay.
- Dental Sealants: Providing an extra layer of protection against cavities in hard-to-brush areas.
- Patient Education: Offering guidance on at-home oral care and dietary choices.
- Custom Mouthguards: Creating mouthguards for sports or nighttime teeth grinding.
To keep your mouth healthy:
- Brush twice daily with fluoride toothpaste and floss regularly
- Eat a balanced diet and limit sugary snacks and drinks
- Avoid tobacco products
- Wear a mouthguard during sports and if you grind your teeth
With regular preventative care, patients can enjoy a lifetime of good oral health, reducing the risk of serious dental problems.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I need preventative dental care?
Yes! Everyone can benefit from preventative dental care, regardless of their age. Preventative dental care is especially beneficial for those who want to avoid invasive dental procedures. To establish a preventative dental treatment plan that works for you, schedule a consultation with one of our dentists at Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry today.
What types of preventative dental care does Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry offer?
Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry offers the following preventative treatments:
Fluoride helps prevent tooth decay by remineralizing the surface of your teeth and strengthening enamel to resist acid attacks from bacteria in food and drink. Demineralization of the enamel is the first sign a cavity may develop. By remineralizing tooth enamel, fluoride treatments can reverse cavities before they form.
A dental cleaning removes plaque and tartar from your teeth in order to prevent cavities and gum disease caused by bacteria buildup around your teeth. Plaque forms when food particles combine with saliva, forming sticky substances that adhere to the surfaces of your teeth; this substance contains large amounts of bacteria that can lead to tooth decay and gum disease if not removed. Dental cleanings are usually done by a dentist or hygienist.
A thorough examination by an experienced dentist can help identify potential problems, such as tooth decay and gum disease, before they become serious and costly. This is why we recommend that everyone schedule a visit every six months (or sooner if you have any symptoms). If you want to make sure your smile stays healthy and bright, call Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry today!
A dental sealant is a thin plastic coating that’s applied to the chewing surfaces of teeth, usually in the back of the mouth where it’s difficult to reach with a toothbrush. Sealants work by filling in deep grooves or pits on these chewing surfaces, thereby preventing food from getting stuck there and causing cavities.
Will I need to follow any special instructions after receiving preventative dental care?
During your preventative care appointment, your dentist will discuss any oral health concerns they noticed during your exam. Depending on their findings, they may provide you with special instructions to follow until your next appointment. Otherwise, you will only need to continue brushing twice a day and flossing daily.
How Often Should I Visit the Dentist for Preventative Care?
It’s recommended to visit the dentist for check-ups and cleanings every six months, though some individuals may need more frequent visits.
Yes, regular cleanings and good oral hygiene are key in preventing gum disease and maintaining healthy gums.
Absolutely, early preventative care is crucial for children to ensure the proper development of their teeth and to establish good oral health habits.
For comprehensive preventative dental care, trust the expertise of Jowett & Lewis Family Dentistry in Topeka, KS. Call us at 785-272-3864 to schedule your appointment and take proactive steps towards maintaining your oral health.